Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Surprise Visit to Hiwot and Shewaye

Hadn't seen Hiwot and Shewaye in three years. Surprise! When Shewaye first saw me, she ran and threw her arms around my neck and squeezed so hard I had trouble breathing. She then started crying and shaking and saying "I love you so much, C'deese." We then waited in their little home (about the size of a small kitchen in the USA) for Hiwot to show up. We surprised her too. I sat next to the door so she'd see me last (there were social workers from TL with us). When Hiwot saw me, the reaction was the same. I wasn't even allowed to stand up. She clung to me and wept, and then sat in stunned silence with a quiet joy for about a half hour. Hiwot and Shewaye are double orphans, and have been so for about a year and a half.


Shewaye was happy to see me, and I her.

Ok, let's go inside and wait for your sister to show up.

Hiwot (left) and Shewaye, our daughters and sisters in Christ.  
I asked Hiwot where she wants to live after 
graduating from nursing school.  
"Some place that is easy on the mind," 
she said. 

This trip to Ethiopia was especially good, because I was able to spend a lot of quality time with our sister-daughter-friends.  These girls have a little brother to take care of, though he's now almost 15 years old.  I think it's true that without sponsorship, they'd not be in school pursuing professional careers.  Hiwot is now in nursing school, though she would probably make just enough money per month as a nurse to afford a small, clean, apartment, she would then have nothing for the essentials of life (food, clothing, transporation, etc.).  I told her that her sponsors would be happy to help out with rent.  Without this education, however, life would be much more difficult.  She'd probably have to sell coffee or corn on the street.  And who knows what else she'd have to sell?  Prostitution happens when a woman is desperate just to provide for her family.  I don't like writing this, but it's true.  Anyway, praise God for ministries like Transformation Love.  

No comments: